Author Topic: Want to become a professional bike mechanic?  (Read 2606 times)

Jeff Wills

• Chief Cat Herder
    • Loony Info Page
Want to become a professional bike mechanic?
« on: June 06, 2009, 08:44:16 PM »
United Bicycle Institute of Ashland is setting up a location in North Portland: They are scheduled to open a school at 3961 North Williams Avenue this summer in a facility under construction.  They will occupy half of the 16,000 square foot multi-tenant building.

This is from The Sentinel neighborhood newspaper- oddly, there's no mention of this on the UBI webpage.

Jeff Wills
All my bikes.

SloJoeRecumbo

• Joe Keenan
    • Cogitation And Then Some
Re: Want to become a professional bike mechanic?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 02:26:12 PM »
Jeff,

Is this the same organization that was mentioned in BikePortland. org some time back or is this a new group?
Ride Long and Prosper.......Down to one bent: VRexAchetta,  Bike Friday Family Tandem.  Wish List: Fat Bike

Jeff Wills

• Chief Cat Herder
    • Loony Info Page
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 08:05:18 PM »
Jeff,

Is this the same organization that was mentioned in BikePortland. org some time back or is this a new group?

Yep:
http://bikeportland.org/2009/05/11/united-bicycle-institute-will-open-in-north-portland/

Just up the street from Emanuel. I might be taking night classes soon.

Make Big Money! Become a Bicycle Framebuilder!

(My dad- who taught history for 30 years- has a t-shirt that reads "Make Big Money! Teach History!". It features a picture of Karl Marx.)

Jeff Wills
All my bikes.

Herrsprocket

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 06:26:12 PM »
It's kind of creepy. Everywhere I live, a UBI starts up. I've got about 25 years worth of life down in Ashland, then we moved up here,,, just to escape from UBI. We didn't let them know where we had escaped too, but they've found us ! 

Matter of fact, I remember that I had a good time yakking with Jerry Jacobson when he came down to take the classes there. Jerry (Jake) was the Prez of the OHPV during the late '80s and early '90s, he was the director of the IHPSC world championships that were held at PIR in '90. I also remember taking his SWB that he had designed and built around the parking lot for a little spin, it was his "Jerry Rig". Funny how it all ties together.  ;)

I didn't take any classes out at United Bicycle Institute ( it's like everything else, it's right in your back yard and what do you do?) but I was for sure very aware of them, along with United Bicycle Parts and United Bicycle Tool. It was one big united bicycle brain pool! Naw, I'd just talk to them about stuff in general, get the scoop. And rent their fancy little special french crank remover tool for my goofy threading on my Peugeot's (early '70s) Stronglight cranks. What a PITA !

UBI, come get me!

vangundy

• OHPV member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 09:40:52 AM »
Found this on the UBI website - just an update for you folks that want to take a class:

UBI Is Now Accepting Registrations in Portland!
United Bicycle Institute is proud to announce that we are accepting registrations for classes at our new location in Portland, Oregon. Our first class will be Professional Repair and Shop Operation, beginning September 28. You can see our Portland schedule here http://www.bikeschool.com/ . To register for classes, click the "Sign Me Up!" link to your left!

Edna
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 09:42:28 AM by vangundy »